Banner Image

Grading Policies

Grades and Quality Points

Grade   Quality Points
A Superior    4.0
A-   3.7
B+   3.3
B Good 3.0
B-   2.7
C+   2.3
C Adequate 2.0
C-   1.7
D+   1.3
D Passing* 1.0
D-   0.7
F Failure 0.0

*Undergraduates only; failing for graduate students

Course Withdrawal

Withdrawal from the University must be with written permission of an Academic Dean. For undergraduates, withdrawal from a course requires advisor and Professor signatures. Students are not permitted to withdraw from courses during the last five weeks before the final examination period. Courses that meet on a special calendar have a separate withdrawal deadline.

Grade Reports

Midsemester grades of "D" and "F" are reported to all undergraduate students, and upon request, to the parents of students who are dependent according to section 152 of the Internal Revenue Code. They are not part of the permanent record. Reports of final grades are available to students online at the end of the semester. They are available to parents of students who are dependent as indicated above.

Grade Point Averages

The University grade point average will be calculated according to the values given under "Grades and Quality Points." Grades of "I" earned by undergraduates are averaged into the grade point average as "F" grades until completed. Grades earned in college courses taken at other institutions do not affect the students’ cumulative University grade point average. The grade point average is found by dividing the total number of quality points earned by the total number of credit hours attempted. In order to receive a degree, an undergraduate must attain a cumulative grade point average of "C" (2.0). Not more than 30 credit hours passed with a grade of "D" are acceptable for graduation. Generally, students are not allowed to attempt six regular courses unless they have at least a 3.0 GPA. Only six credits of graded research or internship will be included in the GPA.

Grade Changes

When students believe that a final grade has been miscalculated, they should ask the professor to review the matter. This request must be made within 30 days of the end of the semester to which the grade in question applies. If a grade change is warranted, the professor will report same to the Registrar.

No grade change will be accepted after 30 days unless authorized by an Academic Dean. Requests for a change in grade which would make the student eligible for academic honors, or for graduation, or which would prevent dismissal for academic deficiencies, will not be accepted.

If the student wishes to appeal the professor’s decision, or if the student is unable to contact the professor, the student may submit a written request for a review by the appropriate Academic Dean. This request must be filed within 30 days of the end of the semester. The Dean or Dean’s designee will then talk with the student and professor, and will attempt to resolve the dispute about the grade. Failing such a resolution, the professor’s grade will stand.

Sign In
Forgot Password? ×