Study Tour Spring 2013 to Panama
Online Course Dates: February 27, 2013 - April 30, 2013
Trip Dates: April 13, 2013 - April 21, 2013
Management Study Tour (3 credit hours)
The Panama Canal, which connects the narrowest points between Atlantic and Pacific oceans, is one of the world's most important gateways. Today, the world is a much smaller place from a trade perspective, because of the distance and time saved when it comes to transporting goods between the two hemispheres. A ship traveling between Japan and the US can effectively save close to 3,000 miles of travel due to the canal. This flurry of trade has also given rise to the world's second largest free trade zone.
Come join Dr. Beldona on a study tour to this fascinating gateway that bridges trade between the eastern and western hemispheres. Our journey will take us to some of the top firms that are engaged in retail, trading, manufacturing, real estate, and tourism.
- Mandatory Pre-Trip Orientation Session (January 27, 2013 - Sunday at 5:30 p.m. - Anselm Hall, Room 224)
- Pre-trip readings, internet-based assignments (online course opens February 27, 2013)
- Trip participation
- Post-trip internet-based assignments (online course closes April 30, 2013)
Pricing and Travel/Tuition Refund Deadlines:
$2,365 per person* (double occupancy) for travel plus regular GSM tuition and fees
3 credit hour course
Students are responsible for booking their own airfare to and from Panama.
- Students should fly directly into Panama City's Tocumen International Airport (PTY)
- Students must arrive in Panama by April 13, 2013. A specific meeting time will be announced by January 7, 2013
- Students should forward a copy of their travel itinerary to Dr. Sri Beldona no later than March 13, 2013
- Flights to Panama are limited! Students should book their airfare well in advance.
The following flights were suggested by the tour company with which we are working:
- April 13, 2013 - American Airlines #2101 - Departs D/FW Airport at 3:55 p.m. Arrives in Panama City at 8:20 p.m.
- April 21, 2013 - American Airlines #2102 - Departs Panama City at 8:45 a.m. Arrives in D/FW Airport at 1:30 p.m.
Early Bird Discount: Register by January 4, 2013 and receive a $150 discount on travel costs.
NOTE: All special arrangements must be made and paid for by January 22, 2013 or you will be rebooked according to the basic travel package outlined above.*A minimum of 10 students is required for this course; less than 10 registered students may result in cancellation of the course. Travel package includes ground transportation, accommodations, daily breakfast, business and cultural visits, one dinner, tour-guide, and a UD polo shirt. Single rooms are available for an additional charge of $683 per person. Participants are not permitted to negotiate their own lodging for the period of the study tour; however, students making travel arrangements involving early arrival in or departure from Panama are required to arrange lodging accommodations for any dates outside of the above trip dates. If you would like to reserve a single room, you must contact Sophie Healy at (972) 721-4143 or firstname.lastname@example.org before January 22, 2013.
To request a seat for the upcoming study tour, please complete and submit the Study Tour Registration Request Form.
Registration Deadline: January 22, 2013
Students will be registered in the order their Study Tour registration request forms have been received and will receive a confirmation of registration once registration has been completed. If after completing the current term courses you are not in good academic standing, you will not be permitted to participate in the Study Tour and will be dropped from the course.
NOTE: A minimum of 10 students is required for this course; less than 10 registered students mayl result in cancellation of the course.
Tuition Refund Policy:
|Through February 26, 2013||100% refund on tuition only|
|After February 26, 2013||No refund on tuition|
Travel Cancellation Penalties:
Passengers cancelling within the 90-day period will be charged the following maximum percentages of the program price.
|90 to 60 days prior:
|59 to 30 days prior:|
|29 to 15 days prior:||50%|
|14 to 0 days prior:||No refund on travel costs|
Travel Insurance Coverage:
Travel insurance is included in the price of the ground travel and includes the following:
- Trip Cancellation: Up to the Trip Cost
- Trip Interruption: Up to 150% of Trip Cost
- Trip Delay - $150/day up to $750
- Emergency/Accident/Sickness Medical Expense - $50,000
- Baggage/Personal Effects - %1,500
- Baggage Delay - $250
- Accidental Death and Dismemberment - $250,000
Passports and Visa Requirements:
U.S. citizens do NOT need a visa to enter Panama; however they must still have a U.S. passport. Additional details can be found at http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_994.html
If you do not have a passport or your passport has expired or will expire within the next 6 months, it is your responsibility to obtain a valid passport as soon as possible. Visit www.travel.state.gov/passport for information on obtaining or renewing a U.S. passport.
For course content-related questions, email Dr. Sri Beldona. For all other questions, please contact your advisor.