Working in the U.S.

Options for F-1 Students 

The regulations for F-1 students provide for two different work classifications.

  1. "Employment" includes working on-campus (see below) and work permits for off-campus employment in the case of Economic Hardship (see link on the left).
  2. "Practical Training" includes Curricular Practical Training (CPT) and Optional Practical Training (OPT)  See the appropriate links in the left navigation bar. 

Employment - On-campus 

(Please note that there are limited job opportunities on the UD campus.)

WHEN: F-1 students are permitted to work on-campus while they are going to school. New F-1 students may begin on campus work AFTER the academic program begins.

WHERE: On-campus only.  Employers include:

  • The university in general
  • The College of Business
  • Aramark Food Service - cafeteria and Rathskellar
  • Follett - bookstore

HOUR LIMITATION: Part-time employment - 20 hours per week or less - is permitted during regular academic terms. Full-time employment - more than 20 hours per week - is permitted during vacations or breaks between terms.


  • You must be enrolled full-time during your regular academic terms - fall and spring for liberal arts students; full-time enrollment terms for GSM students.

Exception: Employment during your final term of study when full-time enrollment is not required is also permitted by regulation, but may be restricted by university policy

  • You must be in good academic standing - not on probation
  • You must be maintaining legal status - obeying all regulations and making normal progress in your program.
  • You must be continuing in your program - on-campus employment is not permitted after you complete your program requirements


  • For general student worker jobs go to the Student Employment Opportunities Job Board maintained by university Human Resources (HR) office.  Please note:  You might have to use a Chrome or Firefox browser to view this list.)   
  • For student worker jobs offered by the College of Business, complete the International Student Worker Application.
  • For jobs with Aramark, go to the Aramark Office in Haggar - down the hall from the Campus Safety Office.
  • For jobs with Follett, go to the bookstore in Haggar.