Working in the U.S
Options for F-1 Students
The regulations for F-1 students provide for two different work classifications.
- "Employment" includes working on-campus (see below) and work permits for off-campus
employment in the case of Economic Hardship (see link on the left).
- "Practical Training" includes Curricular Practical Training (CPT) and Optional Practical
Training (OPT) See the appropriate links in the left navigation bar.
Employment - On-campus
(Please note that there are limited job opportunities on the UD campus.)
WHEN: F-1 students are permitted to work on-campus while they are going to school.
For new F-1 students, employment is permitted up to 30 days before the start of classes.
(You must be registered for classes.)
WHERE: On-campus only. Employers include:
- The university in general
- The College of Business
- Aramark Food Service - cafeteria and Rathskellar
- Follett - bookstore
HOUR LIMITATION: Part-time employment - 20 hours per week or less - is permitted during
regular academic terms. Full-time employment - more than 20 hours per week - is permitted
during vacations or breaks between terms.
- You must be enrolled full-time during your regular academic terms - fall and spring
for liberal arts students; full-time enrollment terms for GSM students.
Exception: Employment during your final term of study when full-time enrollment is
not required is also permitted by regulation, but may be restricted by university
- You must be in good academic standing - not on probation
- You must be maintaining legal status - obeying all regulations and making normal progress
in your program.
- You must be continuing in your program - on-campus employment is not permitted after
you complete your program requirements
HOW TO APPLY:
- For general student worker jobs go to the Student Employment Opportunities Job Board maintained by university Human Resources (HR) office. Please note: You must use
a Chrome or Firefox browser to view this list.)
- For student worker jobs offered by the College of Business, complete the International Student Worker Application.
- For jobs with Aramark, go to the Aramark Office in Haggar - down the hall from the
Campus Safety Office.
- For jobs with Follett, go to the bookstore in Haggar.