University of Dallas International Week

Working in the U.S

Options for F-1 Students 

The regulations for F-1 students provide for two different work classifications.

  1. "Employment" includes working on-campus (see below) and work permits for off-campus employment in the case of Economic Hardship (see link on the left).
  2. "Practical Training" includes Curricular Practical Training (CPT) and Optional Practical Training (OPT)  See the appropriate links in the left navigation bar.


Employment - On-campus 

(Please note that there are limited job opportunities on the UD campus.)

WHEN: F-1 students are permitted to work on-campus while they are going to school. New F-1 students may begin on campus work AFTER the academic program begins.

WHERE: On-campus only.  Employers include:

HOUR LIMITATION: Part-time employment - 20 hours per week or less - is permitted during regular academic terms. Full-time employment - more than 20 hours per week - is permitted during vacations or breaks between terms.


Exception: Employment during your final term of study when full-time enrollment is not required is also permitted by regulation, but may be restricted by university policy




Sign In
Forgot Password? ×