Banner Image

UD Recreation Safety Procedures

Thank you for your interest in UD Clubs and Recreational Sports. We want to make sure each of our students has a safe and fun time while participating in UD Clubs, Recreational Sports and Student Life Activities.

Concussion Management
Non Emergency Injuries
Seeking Medical Treatment


What to do in case of an emergency?

Each club or recreation sport will have a pre-selected Emergency Response Leader. This person is responsible for reporting all emergencies to CSO and filling out the online Incident Report Form.
In the case of a medical emergency, the ERL should do the following:

  1. Immediately call Campus Safety Office at 972-554-2911!
  2. Describe the nature of the emergency and location of the person needing assistance.
  3. Remain with the person until emergency personnel arrive.

CSO will notify the appropriate Office of Student Life staff. The Dean of Student Life or his designee will decide whether or not the parents or guardian of the student involved should be notified. The cost of transportation and medical treatment in the emergency room is the responsibility of the student requiring care.

Types of Emergency
Concussion Management

A concussion is an injury to your brain that is caused by a blow to the head, a car accident, a fall, or any other trauma that severely jolts the head. If the ERL suspects a participant has suffered a concussion, they should:

Concussion Fact Sheet!




What Should I Do if I Suffer an Injury?

Whether an injury is acute or chronic, there is never a good reason to try to "work through" the pain of an injury. When you have pain from a particular movement or activity, STOP! Continuing the activity only causes further harm.

Acute Injuries

Acute injuries, such as a sprained ankle, strained back, or fractured hand, occur suddenly during activity. Signs of an acute injury include the following:

Chronic Injuries

Chronic injuries usually result from overusing one area of the body while playing a sport or exercising over a long period. The following are signs of a chronic injury:

Some injuries require prompt medical attention, while others can be self-treated.


Who Should I See for My Injury?

Although severe injuries will need to be seen immediately in an emergency room, particularly if they occur on the weekend or after office hours, most sports injuries can be evaluated and, in many cases, treated by the On-Campus Doctor (972-721-5322). You should contact the On-Campus Doctor if:

When and How to Treat at Home

If you don't have any of the above symptoms, it's probably safe to treat the injury at home—at least at first. If pain or other symptoms worsen, it's best to check with your health care provider. Use the RICE method to relieve pain and inflammation and speed healing. Follow these four steps immediately after injury and continue for at least 48 hours.

Emergency Telephone Numbers
On Campus
  • Campus Safety Office
    972-721-5305 (routine calls/inquiries)
  • Emergencies Only
  • Health Services
    Dr. Dekat - 972-721-5322
  • Student Activities & Recreational Services
  • Dean of Student Life
Off Campus
  • Texas Poison Control Network
  • Baylor Medical Center (Irving)
  • Las Colinas Medical Center
  • Parkland (Dallas)
Sign In
Forgot Password? ×