I Need Help!

I am a victim of sexual violence. Now what?

Immediate Notifications
If you are not in immediate danger, you should contact CSO at (972) 721-5911. The shift Supervisor will notify the Director of Campus Safety, who will issue any special instructions. He/she will also notify the Director of Student Life.

To ensure your privacy, your name will only be released to the Director of Campus Safety and/or Director of Student Life.

Preserve Evidence
If you are considering reporting the incident to the police, whether now or at some future point, an evidentiary medical exam ("rape kit") is strongly recommended. This will greatly enhance the likelihood of successful prosecution of the assailant, should you report the incident.

To preserve evidence for an examination, you:

Seek Immediate Medical Treatment
Evidence should be collected within 72 hours of the incident. However, even if 72 hours have elapsed, or if you have bathed, etc., an exam is still recommended. You should know that the medical exam does not commit you to reporting the attack. In the event that you decide not to report to the police, the evidence collected will be destroyed after 30 days.
Note that materials collected as evidence are likely to include some articles of clothing and/or personal effects.

You should be helped to the hospital as soon as possible. Remember, not all injuries are immediately apparent. A medical evaluation is necessary to evaluate internal injuries and test for sexually transmitted disease and pregnancy, in addition to gathering medical information for the police. The mode of transportation depends on your condition and preference. You have the option of requesting a concealed identity or pseudonym during the investigation and the medical examination. In addition, emergency room personnel will call the local rape crisis center so that a counselor can provide support and education.

Your Choice
You have the option to pursue university disciplinary charges if the assailant is a University of Dallas student. Sexual violence is a violation of the Student Code of Conduct. Whether you want to involve the Irving Police Department or the Office of Student Life, a medical examination is essential. It is always your choice to report a sexual violence. Reporting actual or attempted sexual violence is extremely important for your protection and that of the community. Reporting violence does not mean that you must prosecute. However, it does begin the legal process if you decide to prosecute at a later date.

Seeking Counseling and Support
If you have been a victim of sexual violence, you may experience a wide range of emotions such as shock, denial, fear, depression, anger, guilt, and/or embarrassment. Any of these feelings can occur immediately, or they may not surface until months, or even years, after the violence. Recovery from sexual violence is a long-term process. Immediate support and crisis intervention is always needed. Many times counseling can make a major difference in your eventual psychological adjustment. Obtaining counseling does not obligate you to report the sexual violence to the police.

What If I am Confused About a Sexual Experience I Had?
If you are confused about an experience you've had or not sure if your partner respected your boundaries, you can speak with someone on campus. Students can contact either Dore Madere, dmadere@udallas.edu or 972.721.4045, or Charles Steadman, cstead@udallas.edu or 972.721.4041, for confidential support.

Sign In
Forgot Password? ×