What Computer Should I Buy?
The following outlines the recommended considerations when buying a computer for a
student at UD.
- Ethernet Port or Network Interface Card (10/100 Ethernet NIC)
- Microsoft Office 2000 or later including Word, PowerPoint, and Excel
- Good, up to date AntiVirus and AntiSpyware software is a must.
- Intel Core and Pentium processors are faster than Celerons, and AMD Athlons are faster
than Semprons. Intel and AMD are just about equal in performance. While your priorities
may not dictate that your child have a monster machine, buying newer technology insulates
them against obsolescence. The faster the CPU - the longer it will be useful.
- At a minimum any modern computer should have 2048MB (2GB) of RAM or more. The best
and cheapest way to gain performance is with a RAM upgrade - we recommend that you
put as much RAM in the computer as possible. RAM is even more important than CPU speed.
- Buy the extended warranty - in the next three years it is very likely that the computer
will need some form of repair and an extended warranty will make it easier and faster
to get your child's computer up and running again.
- Dell is highly recommended for ease of warranty transactions - if your child's computer
breaks at school he/she can get Dell to fix it and does not need to mail it off to
the manufacturer. Most other manufacturers including Apple, HP, Toshiba and others
require the computer to be shipped or delivered to them for any service.
- UD does have wireless networks on campus for laptop users. This is very convenient
for study groups. We recommend that your student's laptop have a WiFi card (802.11
wireless network interface card).
- I reiterate: Good, up to date AntiVirus and AntiSpyware software is a must.
- Buy a flash drive. Sometimes called thumb drives or USB drives, flash drives are very
inexpensive, very stable, sturdy, and incredibly useful to students for carrying their
work from home to the print lab and sometimes even to class.
- Once again: Good, up to date AntiVirus and AntiSpyware software is a must.
The University of Dallas has developed partnerships with computer manufacturers in
order to provide discounts for our students. Please click here
to take advantage of these discounts.