Faculty and Staff Computer Replacement Policy
This policy provides guidelines regarding the purchase, replacement, reallocation,
and disposal of desktops and laptops.
This policy applies to all desktops and laptops purchased and/or supported by the
AIS currently supports specific makes and models of computers. These systems were
chosen to allow diversity in brands and operating systems, yet provide enough similarities
that adequate support can be maintained. Standardization also reduces cost significantly
through bulk purchasing discounts and vendor agreements.
- When computers reach their End-of-life, they must be retired from use. AIS does not
redistribute old computers because they are cost prohibitive to maintain and pose
a threat to the stability of the campus network infrastructure.
- The replacement process occurs each fiscal year.
- When computers are refreshed is determined by the fiscal resources, current replacement
cycles, and the age of the equipment.
- Only one computer per full-time faculty or staff will be replaced.
- Desktop systems will be encouraged for all personnel, unless their job warrants frequent
- Laptops will be issued to personnel whose jobs require frequent mobility.
- Upgrades required by job function will be the responsibility of AIS upon approval
of the director.
- Computers or accessories lost or stolen will be replaced by the department assigned
A new computer will be purchased only if:
- A new full-time faculty or staff member has been hired for a position that didn't
- If possible, departmental funds will be used to purchase new systems for staff members.
Thereafter it will fall under the AIS department budget for replacement.
- All computers must be purchased with the approval of the Director and through the
Refresh of existing systems
- When financially possible, computer systems will be replaced within the fiscal year
in which they are determined to be end-of-life.
- The AIS department will maintain a website that will allow faculty and staff to determine
when their equipment will be replaced. (internal)
- The Information Technology department will maintain a website that indicates the current
recommended models. Only these models will be used for the refresh program.
- A computer will be refreshed on a one-to-one basis only (ex: a desktop replaces a
desktop, a laptop replaces a laptop).
- Any old system must be returned to the AIS department for disposal. Special consideration
will be made for end-of-life machines that do not require network connectivity and
AIS support for their intended function.
- Any systems stolen or lost will be replaced by departmental funds.
- In all cases, if a Mac-based system is chosen, the employee should have a valid reason
for doing so (job function or applications require it, etc.) as they are generally
more expensive to purchase and maintain.
Lost, damaged or stolen items
- Any computers or accessories that stop functioning not due to misuse will be replaced
by the AIS department.
- Any computers or accessories that are lost or stolen may be replaced by department
funds. These items will not be refreshed until replaced.
- Any computers or accessories that are damaged beyond normal wear and tear may be replaced
via departmental funds.
Adjunct faculty will not be supplied with a computer. Shared systems are available
within each department for their use.