- Books are placed on reserve by semester. If a book needs to be on reserve longer
than one semester, arrangements can be made with the library to leave the item on
reserve, provided doing so does not violate the terms of this policy or the library's
- Books placed on reserve are "limited circulation." They may be checked out only for
a short period of time (usually 2 hours, overnight, or 3 days; this decision is left
to the discretion of the instructor), ensuring that all students in the course have
the opportunity to view the materials.
- Fines for overdue reserve materials are as follows: $0.35/hour for all hourly materials
and $1.00/day for daily materials. These materials do still accrue fines.
- Lost reserve materials belonging to the library will be handled as any other lost
items. The library is not responsible for personal materials that are lost or damaged.
- It is the instructor's responsibility to be familiar with the rules of "fair use"
when placing personally owned, copyrighted materials on reserve. The library reserves
the right to refuse any materials for reserve if it is suspected they might be in
violation of copyright law.
- All reserve materials are kept behind the circulation desk, with the exception of
the Permanent Reserve Collection listed below.
- When possible, instructors should bring in materials to be placed on reserve two weeks
prior to the beginning of the semester.
- Any materials that are not averaging at least five uses in a semester will be removed
from the reserve collection. Items that are allowed to stay on reserve for more than
a semester must be used regularly.
Permanent Reserve Collection
- Our Permanent Reserve Collection is made up primarily of texts and research on Dante's
Divine Comedy and Milton's Paradise Lost. It also includes some texts and research
- These items can be found on the 3rd floor of the Library, and are available for checkout
for 2 days, with 3 renewals. They may be placed on hold, but are not available for
Contactless Pickup. These items will accrue fines if they are turned in late.
How to Add Items to the Reserve Collection
- Fill out our Print and Electronic Reserve Form.
- Items will be placed on reserve. A confirmation will be sent to you once you submit
the form and you will be notified when the items are ready for use.
Questions regarding this reserve policy should be directed to the Circulation Department
at email@example.com or 972/721-5329.