Fall 2020 Reopening Plan
The Cowan-Blakley Memorial Library is committed to providing access to materials and
services for all University of Dallas students, faculty, and staff. The following
reopening plan has been created to ensure the safety of library users while still
allowing access to materials needed for research and study.
- Only current University of Dallas students, faculty, and staff will be permitted to
use the library. UD IDs will be required.
- Masks are required for entrance to the library. Library users without a face covering
will be asked to leave.
- The library will be open at 25% capacity. No more than 75 people will be allowed
in at once.
- Library users are expected to social distance. Tables are clearly marked as one-person
or two-person tables.
- Group study rooms are closed until further notice.
- Library users are asked to clean tables and chairs after use. Disinfecting stations
are located throughout the library.
- Reference services will be available in-person or virtually. Students or faculty
needing assistance can schedule an appointment here, or drop in for one-on-one assistance. For in-person assistance, social distancing
will be enforced. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 972-721-5315 for help.
- Interlibrary loan services will continue as normal. Because of delayed shipping times, library users should be
prepared for items to arrive later than usual.
- Library instruction will be available in the Blakley Research and Information Center
(BRIC) with a capacity of 10 students. Librarians can also teach in the classroom,
can create video tutorials to share with students virtually, or can host live online
instruction sessions. Please complete the Instruction Request Form or contact Lauren Younger for more information.
- Contactless pickup will be available for all library users. Users should place a
hold on the item in the online catalog or email email@example.com. Most materials will be ready within three hours and can be retrieved from the contactless
pickup shelf on the main floor of the library. More information can be found here.
- Print reserves will not be available during the fall 2020 semester. Course materials
have been made available through the library's online reserve system or through Brightspace. Students should contact their professor about course readings.
Faculty who wish to utilize the online reserve system should complete the Reserve Request Form or email firstname.lastname@example.org. (Please note: There is a 72-hour turnaround time for electronic reserves requests.)
- Materials returned will be quarantined for three days to abide by the protocols set out by the Institute of Museum and Library Services.
- Newspapers and other popular magazines will not be available for use. Many of these
resources are available online through the library's electronic resources. Please
search for the title of the newspaper or magazine through the library's full-text finder.
- Any materials used, including books and journals, should be returned to the reshelving
carts located throughout the library. These materials will also be quarantined for
three days before being returned to the shelves.
Questions regarding this reopening plan should be directed to Cherie Hohertz, Dean
of University Libraries and Research, at email@example.com.