Certification FAQs

Certification FAQs

Certification FAQs

What is the GPA Requirement?

University of Dallas requires all candidates to have an overall GPA of 2.75 and a 2.75 in pedagogical courses.  

Do I need to redo my fingerprints if I was fingerprinted as a substitute teacher?

No. If you completed Substitute Teacher Fingerprints , then you have fulfilled the Fingerprinting Requirement. However you may need to contact TEA to link your fingerprints to your TEA Certification Application.

*Please note the fee for your fingerprinting requirements is included in your Clinical Teaching fees, so please contact the Certification Officer to register.

How do I apply for my initial certification?

Please refer to the Requesting your Certificate and Fingerprinting document for instructions.

Do you offer any teacher certification courses or programs online?

Yes, the University of Dallas offers some online line courses for the undergraduate, Alternative Certification, and Master's 4+1 programs. We also offer late afternoon and evening classes to accommodate working professionals.

Please refer to the course catalog and schedules for more information or contact the Certification Officer.

Can I take the Certification Exams online?

 No, students must take the exam at a Testing Center. Dates of availability are at www.texes.ets.org.

Please refer to the Online Testing Requirements for more information.

How do I renew my certification?

 Please follow the instructions outlined on the TEA website.

I am moving ot Texas and I am currently certified to teach in another state, how do I become certified to teach in Texas?

 Please follow the instructions outlined on the TEA website. A complete review of credentials is necessary for out-of-state teachers. Teachers with certificates from other countries will be required to complete an accredited certification program in the U.S.

I am currently certified to teach in Texas, how do I become certified in another state?

 The State of Texas, along with over forty-five other states, has signed the interstate reciprocity contract as created by the National Association of State Directors of Teacher Education and Certification (NASDTEC).  The contract facilitates movement of educators from state to state and makes it possible for an educator preparation program to obtain a license in another state.  To learn more set up an appointment with our Certification Officer. 

You can visit NASDTEC website at:


Can I become certified in a Alternative Certification program if my undergraduate degree is in a different field?

 Yes, the Alternative Certification Program does allow students to certify in a field outside of their undergraduate degree. However students may need to take additional foundation courses before they enter they begin Clinical Teaching or their Internship. This is looked at on a case-by-case basis.

Learn more: 

How long does the Alternative Certification program take?

 Alternative Certification programs last approximately 2 years, with the final year being an year long Internship.  Students may also be required to take a semester or more of core courses.  Exemption from these courses is on a case-by-case basis.  Please contact the Education Department regarding course questions.

Is the Alternative Certification program also a Master degree program?

 No, the Alternative Certification program is not a degree program. Students are classified as degree-holders, certification seekers. The program allows students who have already completed a Bachelor’s degree to complete the required courses and student teaching necessary to hold a teacher’s certificate.

The following Master's plus Teacher Certification programs are available: 

How to I add additional certifications?

Please refer to the Additional Certifications documentation for more information.