Undergraduate FAQs

Undergraduate FAQs

Frequently Asked Questions


There are major changes and improvements coming to the 2024–25 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA®) form. As a result, the new form will be available in December 2023, not Oct. 1.

The launch date will apply only for the 2024–25 FAFSA® form.

The changes to the FAFSA® form for the 2024–25 aid year include

  • expanded eligibility for federal student aid and

  • a more streamlined application process.

There is no deadline for FAFSA®. If you meet eligibility requirements, UD will offer available funding upon receipt of your FAFSA® and any additional documentation required.
There is, however, a PRIORITY deadline of March 15, 2024 for the 2024-2025 aid year. If your information is complete as of this date (this includes any verification information), UD will ensure you will receive the maximum funding within the programs for which you may be eligible. All applications are processed as quickly as possible on a funding availability basis. Some programs, especially grant programs and work-study, have limited funding so the earlier UD receives your application along will all supporting documentation, the greater chance for you to receive funds from these particular programs. NOTE: We understand the difficulties with the new FAFSA for 24/25 so if you have had issues submitting your FAFSA by the priority date, please contact the Financial Aid Office.
Yes, UD does not require any additional application for financial aid. If you are applying for our Rome program, however, you will be required to complete an additional application to ensure a proper financial aid offer. (Attendance in the Rome semester usually occurs after the student has earned at least 30 credit hours at UD).
Please refer to the Apply for Financial Aid page for additional information on being selected for verification.
Yes, your eligibility for financial aid is not automatic each year. You should complete a new FAFSA® starting each October 1st for the following academic year. 

NOTE: The 2024-2025 FAFSA® will not be available until December 2023.

No, your aid will not transfer. Your financial aid eligibility must be re-calculated at UD. You do not need to complete a new FAFSA®, however, you must add our school code to your existing FAFSA®. You can add our code to your current FAFSA by going to https://studentaid.gov/h/apply-for-aid/fafsa and adding 003651 to the list of schools to receive your information. You can also contact FAFSA®by calling 1.800.433.3243. Until our school code is added to your FAFSA®, UD will not be able to determine your eligibility. (Give it 3-5 business days for UD to receive the application after you submit the FAFSA®).
Yes, all loans require a MPN (Master Promissory Note) and Entrance Counseling in order for your funds to be released to UD. Directions to complete the MPN and any other additional paperwork will be sent to you for completion. If you are a continuing student at UD, you may check for missing documents on BannerWeb
You may contact a financial aid counselor at 800.628.6999 or 972-721-5266.
See the Financial Aid team page to find your specific counselor.
You should contact the Office of Financial Aid to determine if there is a problem with the acceptance of your financial aid offer.
You may contact the Student Account Services at 972-721-5144 for assistance.
You must contact the Office of Human Resources for securing an on campus job. Being offered work-study does not secure a job on campus.
Work-study cannot be counted as a payment as this program is based on numbers of hours worked and income earned. Since the student has not worked, there is no way to guarantee payments. When determining the balance, you cannot use the work-study amount offered.
Phone calls may be sent to voicemail during the busy FAFSA® review season, however, the policy of the Office of Financial Aid is to return all phone calls received within 48 hours of receiving them. Please make sure when you leave voicemails, we have correct numbers to contact you. We may return calls after 5 p.m. so please leave home, work, and cell numbers if possible. 
Go to BannerWeb and log on. Click on 1) Financial Aid box, 2) Award Offer, and 3) Scroll down to find "Additional Payment Options" 4) Click "Add/View Resource" and fill out the form. You may submit your outside scholarships electronically to our office on the Resources/Additional Information tab. UD may have to make changes to your existing financial aid offer, if necessary. All outside scholarships are placed on our financial aid system, however, it will never show on the official financial aid notification. Student Account Services will be able to access the information to assist you in determining your balance owed.
Please read through our Withdrawal and Return of Title IV Funds (R2T4) policy here, but also call or stop by to speak with your financial aid counselor who can counsel you on the impact to your financial aid and potential for a balance owed to the University.